I love street art
I LOVE street art and I’m always on the lookout for it, also in Singapore.
Singapore is not the most obvious place to find street art though, since it is illegal here.
Luckily there are locations where it is allowed AND more and more commissioned pieces have been -and are- added to Singapore’s buildings these days.
Be marvelled by my street art shots in previous posts
I have written a lot about street art in Singapore:
- The best 5 areas in Singapore to find murals
- Surrounded by skaters and street art
- Murals around the Substation in Singapore
- Where to find street art in Singapore – update 2016
- Street art by Social Creatives in Singapore
- Where to find street art in Singapore
- Mural art @Singapore River
- Murals at Singapore River -part 3
- The Ultimate Guide for Street art in Singapore
A lot of posts indeed, so you may wonder what there is to add to that….
Well, as we all know, street art tends to be temporary, so murals come and go. In other words: time for an update!
Best street art Singapore 2017
Here is an overview of the current, best locations in Singapore to go hunting for street art:
1. Little India
Little India has gotten a lot of street art, over the last years. Very cool!
I think this enormous mural is really beautiful. It shows old trades and professions.
I also love these frolicking cows in Kerbau Street!
When looking for street art in Little India, check out e.g. Tekka Market, Belilios Lane, Rowell Road, Buffalo Road and Perak Road.
2. Somerset Skatepark + SCAPE + NYC (National Youth Centre)
While most murals in Little India are commissioned and there for the long haul, street art around Somerset and SCAPE comes and goes faster than you can imagine.
So if you spot a cool piece, be quick to take a shot.
This area nowadays has a series of nice, historic-cultural murals. They remind me of socialist-realist art. I like them a lot!
When in Chinatown, check out e.g. Amoy Street Food Centre, Smith Street, Kreta Ayer Road and Sago Lane.
4. Singapore River and Clarke Quay
There is street art on the walls of most of the underpasses along the Singapore River.
Near the bungee jump site is a beautiful gigantic mural by Social Creatives.
5. Kampong Glam + Arab Street
Check out e.g. Aliwal Street (Aliwal Arts Centre), Sultan Gate (Sultan Art Centre), Haji Lane, Kandahar Street, Jalan Pinang and Victoria Street.
6. Bras Basah
You can find murals along Waterloo Street and Queen Street (222 Queen Street)
7. Tiong Bahru
8. Everton Road @Tanjong Pagar
9. Everitt Road @Joo Chiat (Terrace)
This list is not complete or anything. You will find singular street art throughout the whole island. Do you have any tips or favourites of your own? Please share them in the comments. I would love to check them out for myself!