Here’s a bit more about me, in case you are interested ;-).
Born in 1956 in the South of the Netherlands. Moved all over the place. Initially within Holland, that is.
Fragile inside and out; had my fair share of misery and tears, but basically my life and happiness went upwards with age. See, aging is not all bad and useless!
I shifted schools, jobs, men and houses quite rapidly, but got better at all these things over the years. Again: the positive side of aging;-).
Steady factors in my life, also when I was younger, were and still are:
- my friends, many of whom I know since 10, 20, even 50 years! In these days of globalization, they are spread out all over the globe, but thanks to traditional and new ways of communication we can stay close and in contact.
- creativity. Be it in pimping stuff, sketching on my iPad, making jewelry, dancing tango, photography and what not, I am always into ‘creating’ something somehow. It’s also why I love art, street art, art brut and why I’m attracted to other creative souls.
- traveling. Actually a bit strange and unexpected for a scaredy-cat like me, to like to explore new places so much. But I do. Until I was 18 years old, I practically lived in my bedroom. I came nowhere and saw no one. Only after I moved out of the house of my parents I came out of my shell. With an ex who worked for an airline I flew to a lot of destinations (Hong Kong, Greece, Bali and a lot more). I visited friends who lived and worked abroad (Jamaica, Kenia, Puerto Rico). When in Buenos Aires for tango, I met a French Canadian from Montreal. We were a couple for six years in which I lived half of the time in Montreal. And now my current (and hopefully there to stay forever) husband lives in Singapore. Never a dull moment!
- pets. I am insanely crazy about animals, especially dogs and cats. Unfortunately my life now does not combine well with taking care of a pet, but hopefully one day…..;-). Until then I get my daily dose of cute via IG and other Cute Websites.
- my fascination for all things and peeps quirky and eccentric. My love for kitsch and camp goes hand in hand with this.
- a love for colors and a ‘more is more’ taste. No minimalism or neutrals for me, please.
- I am always tired and sleep poorly. This has been this way my whole life, even as a small child.
- I hate sports! Always have and always will. That does not mean that I will never do sports, since it may be necessary at a certain point. But liking it? No!!!
I don’t have a job.
Explaining that by saying that I am retired is easier, sexier and more accepted, then telling the truth. So sometimes I just give that answer: ‘I’m retired’. Topic closed. No discussion. Everyone gets that.
Truth of the matter is that after a severe burn-out, I dropped out of the working-process. Officially declared ‘unfit for work’.
Sad? No. Not any more. I have come to terms with it years ago.
I live life to the fullest. Probably my fullest is only a quarter full in your dictionary. Well, so be it. It is what it is. Welcome to my life;-)!
Oh, and in case you think my life is so different from yours? Don’t! It isn’t.
Ok, of course it is. Everybody’s life is unique. But in the end the similarities outnumber the differences.
I just did my groceries, called pest control for termites, listened to a friend who asked for help and advice, mopped and vacuumed the floors and paid some bills. I have diabetes, eczema and chronic headaches. Sounds pretty much like yours, I guess?
None of that will play a big part on this blog though. I prefer to share my adventures in travel, art and all things quirky. Seasoned with a hint of personal life/style.
OK, enough said, leave this page now and go read some of my blogposts!