There are too many shops in Groningen to name them all. Also shops tend to come and go, so shops that I point out now might be gone tomorrow.
What I WILL do is share my 15 favorite shops in Groningen with you, I’ll show you where to go shopping in Groningen, by indicating in which area and streets you will find 90% of the cool shops.
On top of that I’m sharing some links that will come in handy when preparing for your city-trip to Groningen.
That should get you started!
My 15 favorite shops in Groningen city
- By far my favorite store in Groningen is Laif & Nuver. Located in a beautiful building at the Vismarkt, this huge, spacious store has a ton of gorgeous, cool stuff for your house and lifestyle.
- Another great store is Sostrene Grene, not too far from Laif & Nuver. Here they have all sorts of affordable cool, fun, colorful stuff. Great for gifts, crafting and home decor.
- I LOVE Lily & Rose, a giftshop with colorful merchandise. Postcards, toys for children, bags, kitsch, home decor and more. I felt in heaven while walking around in this big store.
- HoltBar is a hip concept-store. meaning that you can combine having coffee and cake with shopping for design gadgets.
- WOONN is a furniture and home decor store. It may not look hip or fancy from the outside, but they have several floors with great stuff for your home. Lots of gorgeous cushions!
- Kunst en Vliegwerk: books
- Folk: concept-store
- Diezijner: colorful mini-warehouse
- Verroest: industrial, vintage design for home and garden
- Nul50: home decor
- Recessie: second-hand fashion
- Bess: fashion in a beautiful building
- ToyToy: nostalgic toys and gifts
- Truus en Bregje: giftshop
- markets: there are markets in the city center on several days of the week.
- Le Souk: best shop in the Netherlands, selling Moroccan groceries.
Mijn Tafel: a place where people can rent a table to sell their stuff. It does not look appealing, hip or glamorous, but it’s a great place for finds and bargains.
Where to go shopping in Groningen
It’s a no-brainer that most of the interesting shops are located in the city-center.
Streets that are particularly good for shopping are:
- Folkingestraat: best shopping street of the Netherlands with a big variety of independent shops
- Herestraat: where all the big brands and chains are
- Vismarkt, with one of my favorite shops (Laif & Nuver)
- Grote Markt: another favorite shop (Sostrene Grene) and good for markets
- Oude Kijk in t Jatstraat
- Kromme Elleboog
- Kleine Peperstraat
Usefull links for shopping in Groningen
- Information about shopping in the Folkingestraat
- Information about shopping in the center
- Check out the map I made in My GoogleMaps. It has a lot of hotspots marked on it. Handy!
Oh, and in my previous post I mentioned how many Dutch cities tend to be utterly boring on sundays, remember? Well, not Groningen. Many shops in the city center are open on sundays as well!
Which are your favorite shops in Groningen? Anything to add to my lists?