Blog series about Eindhoven
Over the last weeks I have brought you a complete series about Eindhoven, Hollands fifth largest city, located in the south of the country.
Today I’m presenting you my final post about Eindhoven: Tipotango – Argentine Tango in Eindhoven.
How I became an Argentine Tango DJ
Why an article about Argentine Tango, you may wonder?
Maybe you don’t know, but I’m a big fan of tango since over 15 years now. I already fell in love with tango music around 25 years ago, but I came across the dance 10 years later. It was love at first sight, so I started dancing right away. After 5 years, I added dancing as a leader to the experience and I started teaching beginners. Again 5 years down the road, I became a tango-DJ.
No, not professionally, silly. As a hobby, just occasionally. By now, I have DJ-ed around 50 times, in several countries, cities and milonga’s (=tango-salons).
TipoTango in Eindhoven
And so it happened that I got invited to DJ at milonga Tipotango in Eindhoven. A long way from home, so I decided to make my DJ-gig part of a citytrip to Eindhoven. That turned out to be a great idea. I ended my citytrip with DJ-ing and had a ball!
Let me tell you what’s so fantastic and special about this milonga:
- the location is great: danszaal Scala, near the city center, in the old Augustinianum building, with free parking
- the tango community is warm and welcoming
- unlike in many other tango communities, I spotted hardly any narcism, mannerism or other unpleasant behavior. Such a delight!
- the average age is higher (than in most tango-scenes), which I found a charming sight and a comforting thought
- everyone seemed to dance with everyone; no cliques or wallflowers
- they have an eclectic taste in music; very relaxed approach to tango.
For non-tango people this may not mean a lot nor make a lot of sense, but I’m sure that tango-dancers get what I’m saying. So to all tango-dancers out there, I say: “Go dance in Eindhoven! You’ll be welcomed with open arms and have a good time.”
Tipotango, thank you for having me! I hope to come back and play my music for you again;-).