As I mentioned in my previous post, Halloween 2014 is coming up soon.
You may be wondering where to celebrate Halloween in Singapore, what to wear and where to get your costume. Find your answers here, in my complete guide to Halloween in Singapore.
Where to celebrate Halloween in Singapore in 2014
My ideal way to celebrate Halloween would be to go to a discotheque (with friends) , all dressed-up, where they would play dance-able music. Not ‘dance’, nor house or any of that stuff, that’s so popular these days. Also no mediocre live-band, thank you very much. No, I would love an evening filled with the best soul, funk, disco and OK, even some danceable pop songs. Michael Jackson, James Brown, bring it on.
But well, you can’t always get what you want, right? Because no, I have not found any Halloween event like that in Singapore this year.
So what DID I find?
In random order:
- Halloween Dance Weekend at the Substation
- Once Upon a Nightmare at Clarke Quay
- Halloween Horror Nights 4 at the Universal Studios (review coming up soon!)
- Spooktacular Sentosa
- Halloween Trick or Treat @Woodlands Woodgrove
- Halloween Night@Bacon and Booze
- Hell on Wheels
- Expired expectations@Wonderbar
- Frequender Festival@Infinite Studios
- Halloween DinnerParty@Little Part 1 Cafe
- The Black Hat Society@Peranakan Place
- Hollywood Horror Night at 1Altitude
I considered going to the Substation, because I like the place and it seems fun on paper. But after listening to some snippets of the bands online, I decided against it, because I didn’t like what I heard:-(. Too bad…
Trick or Treat at Woodlands Woodgrove sounds cool, especially for families with small children!
My BFF wanted to go to the Halloween Horror Nights at the Universal Studios. Although it seemed pretty lame to me, I went along, together with our hubbies. Review coming up soon! (Heads up: we had a fun night;-))
My personal vote goes to that evening at Clarke Quay, since that seems the most laid-back concept. Just stroll around, dressed-up, have fun seeing other people in costume, sip on a few cocktails, listen to cool music, dance here and there and basically do a bit of bar-hopping.
Yep, sounds like a plan to me!
What to wear for Halloween and where to get a costume
Some people are creative and handy enough to make their own costume, but most people are not. So they will need to buy or rent one.
Now I don’t find Singapore big on cool and fun Halloween parties to choose from, as I just stated, but they DO have a lot of places where you can find costumes. Here they are, in random order:
- Spotlight, to find materials for making your own costume
- Daiso, also to find materials for creating your own costume, but also for a small choice of costumes and props around Halloween
- good areas to look for DIY materials for costumes, accessories and props: Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street
- Truly Yours
- The Magic Hall
- TalentHouse Studio
- The WearHouse
- Otaku House
- Moephosis Concepts
- MyCostume City
- JCM Costume
- Haru House
- Costumes n Parties
- Costumes & Mascottes
Check them out online to find out:
- are they still in business? (things can change very fast in Singapore)
- do they sell costumes or do they rent out?
- are they supplying for adults, children or both?
- are they specialized, e.g. focussed on Cosplay? Harajuku? Historical costumes? Props?
- in case of rental: terms and conditions and of course the price.
I usually go to Lips Enterprise in Far East Plaza. They have two outlets there on level 3.
Be prepared to suffer a little;-), since both places are stuffed to the brim, so there is absolutely no room AT ALL to walk, stand, look or manoevre. Stay calm, keep breathing, walk out if it gets too much and cool down for a minute, before diving back in, persevere and thou willet succeed. I know I did, so so can YOU!
- Halloween.sg: a ton of information on Halloween in Singapore
- Little Steps Asia also has good info on Halloween, especially for families with children
Which costumes are hot this year
Here are 7 Halloween costumes that I expect to be trending in 2014:
(Click on the pictures to find out where to buy)
Long black dress, black cap with black horns, white face, blood red lips and accentuate those cheekbones please! Use dark eyeshadow to achieve that.
Easy: white (long sleeved) Tshirt under either orange or beige pajamas, or -better- a fake prisoner suit like this one.
3. Pharrell Willams
Just wear that typical hat – and don’t forget to be happy!
Add-on some extra ass somehow, wear a dark-haired wig, get some serious spray-tanning done and wear white, tight clothes with some sparkle. Done.
Oh, and bring a cute baby for extra points!
5. Elsa from Frozen
Long blond/white braid, light blue long dress, white feather boa or white fur. Act cool! No, make that: ice-cold!!
6. For the men:
take your pick from any of the many, many zombie-ish series, be it Grimm, Sleepy Hollow or The Walking Dead. Just pick a character and get creepy.
7. No doubt that the most popular costume for dogs this year will be Dog Spider!
Ok, one more then, for the ladies.
I came up with number 8, the bonus costume, this morning, during my first cuppa: Gold Digger.
Brilliant, right?! Literally, hahaha.
Dress in gold from head to toe, wear a golden wig, buy a small bucket and spade in a children’s toy store, spray paint them gold and you’re all set! Who knows which gold (or guy with a golden heart) you might digg up this Halloween!
Nope, I’m not telling you what I am going to wear. It shall remain a secret untill after Halloween. Stay tuned for that revelation in a couple of weeks from now.
How to have fun with your Halloween pictures
Look what I did with mine, a couple of years ago; I added a lot of cool effects.
Above picture became this one:
The following picture….
…was Halloween-o-fied into this one:
Pretty cool, don’t you think?
In my next post I will show you how to do the same with your Halloween pictures!
So tell me now, where will you celebrate Halloween this year?
And what are you going to wear??? I’m anxious to know!