Since I rarely do these kinda posts, I took a bit of a different approach.
I collected over 30 #OOTD’s from the last two years in order to analyze my style.
You know how they say that every picture tells a story. Let’s see what my #OOTD’s tell us about my style.
Here they are in random order:
|Sea-blue knitted summer sweater, lavender skinny jeans and my favorite embroidered booties. Necklaces handmade by me.|
1. Long blond curly hair.
As you can see the look of my hair is quite consistent; I basically just let it grow since about 7 or 8 years now. It grows very slowly and having curls makes the length only look less then it in fact is.But never mind, I’m content;-).
I only go to the hairdresser every now and then to have my roots blond-ed.
And I vary my hairdo a lot: loose, pinned up, braided, ponytail, etc.
|Black underdress and semi-transparent patterned Empire-waisted dress.|
I think my other key style-elements reveal themselves clearly as well.
2. A simple under-layer with something more loose and long over that to cover up weak spots in my figure.
|Floral H&M skirt, black singlet with two different transparent tops and two different belts.|
3. Floral patterns, as well as other patterns. But floral patterns the most, I would say.
|Green strappie underdress with two different transparent overdresses.|
4. Lots of color and bold color combinations.
|The combination in the middle and on the right are some of my favorites of all times. They are very, very me.|
5. Accessories, like flowers in my hair or as a brooch. Even on my shoes and boots.
Also earrings, rings, hats and actually all sorts of other accessories.
6. A-line dresses, wrap dresses and loose-fit dresses.
7. Skinnies and leggings with longer tops over them.
8. I love the look of heels, but my feet are actually unfit for wearing heels. I wear them for dancing tango, with extra padding and some painkillers to be able to last a bit longer. I also wear them if I am able to avoid having to walk a lot in them.
So sometimes I need to go for sneakers, which I love too. Or flats, that I do not particularly find sexy, but they are sooooo comfortable!
9. My weight fluctuates a bit, the last decades, but in principle I have an apple-shape, which I despise. Fortunately I have learned to deal with it (aka cover it up) pretty good over time;-).
|In my heaviest (weight wise) period. With a glimpse of my belated darling cat Guust.|
|I was able to wear these three combinations in my thinnest hours, when I was very strict in following my diabetes-diet. Since I fell of that wagon (bad girl) I regained 6 kgs AND my apple shape. So these skinnies don’t fit me anymore. Alas!:-(|
10. Short skirts.
The short skirts from H&M are so handy and versatile, especially in Singapore’s climate!
I have about 20 of them in all colors.
Unfortunately they seem to have stopped making them in fun colors.
And ideally they should be 5 to 10 cm longer for me.
At my age and with the way my body is changing, I feel that that little extra length would suit me better. But since these skirts simply are not, I make do with what is. And that’s fine.
Somehow really longer lengths, like knee-length, do not flatter me.
11. Mildly flared jeans.
Flaring jeans flatter me, IMO.
But I also love colored jeans and unfortunately at the moment all colored jeans and pants in the shops are skinnies. So I reluctantly bought several of those. And succeeded to make them work for me, so that’s fine.
12. Make up. Pretty black around the eyes and red on the lips. Plus nail polish in crazy colors.
I think that it is safe to conclude that I am a ‘More is More’ kinda person and that I do not style myself age-appropriate, I guess.
Look at that, I whipped up 12 style-characteristics! Do you agree with my analysis? Can you distill any other style elements from my OOTD’s?
I am also curious to know which of these looks are your favorites and why. And do you have any style suggestions for me? Things that you think would look good on me?
Oh, and by the way: it’s my birthday today! Hip hip hooray for me!!!
58 years, friends, 58 years….but….feeling only 38 years old inside;-).